Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bag-o-Broccoli

First thing this morning (well, by first thing I mean 10:00am - qualifying as first thing around here), we piled into the car to visit our favorite local farm. We have been frequenting Marunde's for years, and today I was thrilled yet again.

During a nice chat with Farmer Kenny (he has superhero status in my kids' eyes) I asked him if all of his veggie stand produce was organic. He said about 99%, but ask about a specific veggie to get the skinny. Broccoli? Yes, 100% organic. Yay! 5 out of the 6 of us love broccoli and that definitely qualifies as a winner. Then he MADE MY DAY by telling me I was welcome to drive out to the field and CUT MY OWN!! Um, OK! Thankfully my father-in-law had his pocketknife along for the trip. Standard issue for the octogenarian.

The trusty van slipped her way through the muddy ruts out to the vegetable patch. We had an absolute blast with kids pointing out little heads of broccoli and me slicing away. At one point my 4 year old stuck his head in our bag-o-broccoli and said, "It smells SO good!" Broccoli for lunch, giant batch of broccoli baby food planned for later this evening, and I can't wait to use it up so we can head back for more. THANK YOU FARMER KENNY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment