Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mexican Pita Pizza with Fresh Salsa

Someday I am going to remember that I need to take pictures of my food before we eat it.  For now, you will have to imagine.  Or even better, make this for yourself, take a picture and send it to me to post!!  I like that idea the best :).

Today for lunch we had refashioned leftovers, and they were seriously yummy.  I had pitas left over from a lunch that never happened last week and black beans from dinner on Saturday night.  I split the pitas and put them inside up on a cookie sheet.  I mashed up my leftover black beans.  I spread the black beans on the pitas and topped with shredded raw milk cheddar and chopped black olives.  I broiled them for 5 minutes.  So easy.

I also served them with homemade salsa.  Which my husband and I ate with the pizza.  And my kids ate by the spoonful.  Solo.  Hey, whatever - they ate it.

Homemade Salsa

6 medium sized tomatoes, quartered and seeded
1/2 small white onion, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 handful of fresh cilantro
1 tsp. sea salt (or more or less to taste)
Juice of 1 lime
Jalapeno as desired for heat

Throw all of the above into a food processor (or heaven forbid, chop into tiny pieces by hand and BEG your hubby to buy you a food processor) and pulse to desired consistency.  It's that easy.

That recipe will make about 2 c. of salsa, so you may need to do that twice to feed a larger crowd.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment